The Content Manager allows you to create a categorized question bank for use in Lesson Studio.
Content Manager is accessible from the Compose mode in Lesson Studio and as a separate tool when added to an environment page.
Creating New Questions
Clicking the New button opens up a drop-down menu to create something new:
- Category - a category helps you organize your questions. It's best to group your questions into categories. Drag and drop questions into a category, or simply create them while browsing a category to add them there.
- Question - there are multiple types of questions available. You can add only one question per page.
- Content - this type of content can't be added to the lesson from Content Manager and is present for backward compatibility with lessons from older Valamis versions. Use the text element to add text instead.
When opting to create a question, the first thing you need to choose is its type:
- Choice question has one or more correct answers, and the user has to pick one or all correct answers, depending on the settings. You can also make it into a survey question, which has no correct answers.
- Short answer question requires a short textual answer.
- Numerical question requires a numeric answer.
- Positioning question- the user has to drag options into the correct order.
- Matching question- the user has to match the pairs.
- Essay question requires a long free-form essay answer.
- Categorizing question- the user has to drag the options to the correct categories
Most question types have different universal settings:
- Available translations- like other elements, questions support different localizations.
- Title is used to distinguish questions in the Content manager question list.
- Content- write and format the question contents in this field with the editor. You can use both rich text and images as question text. However, note the amount of content on the screen so that it fits in one question page.
- Explanation- this text is shown to the user after answering the question.
- Feedback on correct/incorrect answer- set a comment to be shown to the user, depending on whether their answer is correct or incorrect.
Other settings are individual to specific types of questions.
Adding Questions to Lessons
- First, click on the question element in opened Lesson Studio.
- You will see the usual Content Manager with a couple of extra settings on the top of the dialog. These settings are used when you select many questions at once:
- Use X selected questions - creates a page with a question for each one that you have selected.
- Use X questions (randomly chosen based on your selection) - randomizes the added question. The value you input is the number of question pages you want to add. Then, for each question page, a random question from your selection will be displayed to the user. Meaning you can have 1 page that shows a random question out of 6 selected. Note that if you have input a value bigger than the number of questions you have selected, the user will get duplicate questions.
- After you add a question, you may also allow learners to check their answers for this question (depending on the question type). To enable this option, click the Toggle answer review button.
- A Check your answer button will appear, indicating that learners can do that by clicking on it. When checking their answers, users will see the feedback for correct or incorrect answers, which you can add when creating a question.