We are proud to present what we have been working on once again! In this update, we will tell you about Audiences - a whole new way to push content to highly specific groups of users in a flexible way. Other improvements include things like Skillsoft Precipio integration, new UI languages, and more.
Audiences - Dynamic Content Curation
In Valamis, there are several ways to manage groups of users:
- Roles - sets of permissions assigned to users. Allows detailed management of what they can or can't do on the platform.
- Organizations - best way to handle large organizational structures, like various departments, admins, supervisors, their subordinates, and the hierarchy of it all.
- UserGroups - a way of grouping users independently from organization hierarchy and roles, e.g. selecting all security specialists from all departments at once.
While useful for content curation, there was still a lot of manual work in using these ways for this purpose.
Our new feature, called Audiences, is a new way to create custom user groups and assign content for these groups in a dynamic way.
Audiences are based on multiple flexible and configurable criteria that can lie beyond the aforementioned User Groups, Organizations, or Roles, or may include or exclude them. More custom fields are also on the roadmap, which will greatly improve the flexibility of these audiences and how you can push your content.
Once an audience is created, you can find it when assigning content in the Course Manager, Learning Paths, Lesson Manager, and Training Events.
Creating an Audience
- Open the Audiences tool, and click Create audience.
- You will see Include and Exclude criteria. Configure them to your liking. In the example, we want the audience with users who are a part of the "Valamis QA" user group but are not Administrators.
- Name your new audience, and click Save audience.
- You will now see the newly created audience in the main list.
In the main list of Audiences, you can browse, edit, and delete created audiences.
Pushing Content to an Audience
After you've created an audience, you can push content to the users that are a part of it. The way you do it depends on the type of content:
- Learning Paths, Courses, and Training Events can be assigned via the typical Membership settings, where you normally add new members. Click Custom audiences to browse them.
- Lessons are assigned to an audience via Lesson Manager visibility settings of each lesson.
Once you assign the audience to the content, everybody from that audience will be able to access it.
Skillsoft Percipio Integration
A new addition to the list of our content integration is Skillsoft Percipio. It follows the same process as other integrations without tracking: you can add Percipio content to Learning Paths as a goal with manual completion, where users mark their completion themselves.
Percipio content can be also found via Valamis Search using the corresponding search filter.
As usual, you should use Integration Manager to pick and categorize the content from Percipio to be used in Valamis.
Other improvements and fixes
- Thai, Hindi, and Hebrew languages were added.
- Liferay 7.0 support has ended.
- Mobile App UI labels can now be edited via Translation Editor.
- Fixed issues with permissions for Certificates.
- MathType support has been added to question creation in Lesson Studio.
- Fixed error on SCORM lesson second attempt.
- Fixed an issue with instructor notes not being saved in Training Events.
- Improved performance for reporting dashboards.
- Added pending Requests notification to the User Menu.